Ravioli with Split Pea Sauce
A nice French Pea sauce recipe to try !
* 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
* 1 1/3 cups dried yellow split peas
* 2 packages (9 oz. each) cheese-filled ravioli or tortellini
* 3 dried hot chilies (2 in. long)
* 1/2 teaspoon olive or salad oil
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon cumin seed
* 1 quart baby spinach leaves (about 1/4 lb.), rinsed
* 1/2 cup red cherry tomatoes (about 1 in.), rinsed and halved
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* Salt and fresh-ground pepper
1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring broth and split peas to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until peas fall apart, about 50 minutes.
2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 quarts water to a boil; add ravioli. Stir occasionally until pasta is tender to bite, 4 to 6 minutes; drain.
3. Meanwhile, transfer split pea mixture to a blender or food processor; whirl until smooth.
4. Remove and discard stems from chilies; shake out and discard seeds. Wipe the 3- to 4-quart pan dry. Add chilies, oil, garlic, and cumin; stir over medium-high heat until garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
5. Pour split pea purée into pan with chili mixture. Add spinach, tomatoes, and turmeric; stir just until steaming.
6. Add drained ravioli to sauce and mix gently. Spoon equally into wide bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.
French Pea Sauce....