Pasta with Creamy Mushroom-Pea Sauce
A nice creamy mushroom pea sauce recipe to try
* 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
* 3 cups shelled English peas (4 1/2 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
* 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 cups quartered cremini or sliced chanterelle mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 cup whipping cream
* Lots of freshly ground pepper , to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and peas; cook until the pasta is tender and the peas are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook prosciutto, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; stir to coat. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Add broth, return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and pepper.
Drain the peas and pasta; return to the pan, add the mushroom sauce and toss to coat.
French Pea Sauce....