Mint French Pea Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil, preferably olive oil
- ¼ heaping cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces fresh spinach – cleaned, stemmed and dried
- 5 ounces fresh peas, shelled
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 1 ½ cups potato water (save water from boiled potatoes)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and cumin. Saute until the onion becomes translucent and the sauce turns a light golden color.
Stack the spinach leaves and roll them up (lengthwise). Cut the roll into ¼ inch strips (chiffonade). Add the chiffonade spinach to the pan. Add peas, mint and potato water.
Simmer, cooking until the spinach is wilted. It should take three to four minutes. Blend the sauce in a blender until smooth. Strain the sauce back into the cooking pan. Discard any solids caught in the strainer. Heat the sauce to a simmer. Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
The French pea sauce is ready to serve over prosciutto and lamb chops or any other meat dish with prosciutto or lamb. ..hmm...nice one ! Bon apetit !